Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Squirrel World » Blog Archive » Garden Pallet

This DYI project is brought to you by…….

This idea was so neat when I found it on Pinterest. We had just cleaned the backyard and we found an old pallet and I knew that I could do this!

This project cost me $20 out-of-pocket and that was for flowers and top soil. Everything else I had at the house or re-purposed.

The original instructions on how to do this can be found here.

First, find a nice pallet. One with all the boards in good condition, no nails sticking out, no rotting, etc.

For this project, you’ll need the pallet you found, 2 large bags of potting soil, 1 six packs of annual flowers (one six-pack per opening on the face of the pallet, and one six-pack for the  opening on the top of the completed pallet garden), a small roll of landscape fabric, a staple gun, staples, and a little salt and sugar (equal parts) mixture.

Now, I did not use the landscaping fabric. I had material around me that I could use and would be just as good. We had some old patio chairs that were  unsuitable to sit in and some window screen that was damaged.

Decide which side of the pallet will be the bottom when the pallet garden is completed and leaning against the wall. You are going to be covering the bottom, back, and landscape fabric (or your recycled material), leaving  the spaces between the slats and the top uncovered (you’ll be planting flowers in the uncovered spaces).

Now this is where it gets tricky. I made little pocket/well under each opening. I attached it to the back, made the dip, and then attached it to the front and cut off the excess. I attached it with a staple gun. I did this for each opening.

I took some roofing paper we had and covered the back of it.

Now, I laid it at an angle as I filled the slots. This was easier for me to do it this way but you can lay it flat if you want. Bring the pallet close to wherever it’s final spot will be.

I worked from the top-down, leaving the very top empty so I could do this when it was standing up-right.

I scooped up handfuls of top soil and put them into the open slots until almost full. Now add a bit of that salt/sugar mixture before you put your flowers in. This makes your flowers grow fuller and taller.

Then I added the 6 plants and then added more dirt on top gently. I did this all the way down and then stood the pallet up and moved it into place.

Last, I did the top row of plants. I used a mounding plant like a phlox and knew that over the summer it would spread.

Now, the site tells you to leave the pallet flat for a few days. I did mine at an angle and when I put the plants in I packed them in at an angle and they haven’t really moved since then.

Water your pallet regularly, they dry out quickly.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Post a Comment